First – this NAV page about membership in the Norwegian Social Security System while working abroad is pretty intersting: https://www.nav.no/no/Person/Flere+tema/Arbeid+og+opphold+i+utlandet/Jobbe+i+utlandet+og+folketrygden/utsendt-arbeidstaker-til-utlandet#chapter-1
- During our trip to Texas, we will be mandatory members of the Norwegian Social Security System because we intend (apparantly very important) to be away for less than 12 months.
- Still – to ensure that we are insured, we will apply to be voluntary members – and in doing so, we have to fill in three forms to send to NAV
- You do this by going to this link: https://www.nav.no/no/Person/Skjemaer-for-privatpersoner/Skjemaer/Til+eller+fra+Norge+%28international%29/Opphold+eller+arbeid+utenfor+Norge
- Here – you choose the first option – “Jeg vil søke om medlemskap i folketrygden under opphold utenfor Norge”
- Then pick “Jeg skal arbeide som utsendt arbeidstaker i USA med lønn fra norsk arbeidsgiver under 5 år” on the next page
- Then choose that you live in Norway and put in your information (zip code and social security number in Norway).
- This will give you three (3) forms to fill out – on one of them, your employer has to sign and put a stamp on it to confirm that they will be paying your salary and taking out your social security fee while you are in the US.
Coming up – Health Insurance issues!!!