The International Studies Association held its annual meeting in Toronto, Canada this year – from the 26th – 30th of March 2019. It was a fun experience as always – and I presented two papers together with my colleague here at Texas A&M University at Galveston, Assistant Professor Elizabeth Nyman. I have gone to this conference for 12 years though, since 2007 – and only missed it twice in these years. It is therefore by .far my favorite conference and I love going there – and I have so many great memories of going there and presenting with the Oceans and Fish people that always .go there as well. This is also the conference where I met all my three colleagues called Elizabeth!
Here is a quick history of my ISA past:
- I started going to this conference in Chicago in the early years of my PhD programme – in 2007.
- In 2008, I went to San Fransisco on the ISA conference – and brought 11 week old Annabelle with me there.
- In 2009, it was in New York City and I missed it unfortunately – for reasons unknown to me as I sit here.
- In 2010 – it was in New Orleans on the other hand – and I definitely went, since that is where my family lives as well.
- It was in Montreal, Canada in 2011 – and I was there as well – and remember most of all that I had beer with my now BBNJ friend Elizabeth De Santo – and that I went to a hockey game 🙂
- In 2012, it was in San Diego, California – and this was the year I was on my last Fulbright – and it was in Santa Barbara – so I remember taking the train there. Good times!
- In 2013, I did not go – because I was giving birth to my now 6 year old son – but it was in San Fransisco again this year!
- In 2014, however, it was in Toronto again – and this year I met my friend Elizabeth Nyman for the first time (and fun story – we started the draft of a forum-shopping paper then – and it is STILL under review). This year was our 5 year friendaversary in other words.
- In 2015, it was back in New Orleans and corresponded with my dads 60th birthday .as well as my brothers wedding – both in New Orleans – so we did a family vacation out of it.
- In 2016, it was in Atlanta – and I brought my daughter Annabelle with me – and my mom and brother from New Orleans also came up to hang out with us.
- In 2017, it was in Baltimore, Maryland, and what I remember most of that one was accidentally .taking a short cut through .a not-so-good neighborhood on our way to eat Ethiopian after our oceans panel – and our group of around 8 researchers and professors was accosted by a group of not-so-friendly-people and as one of my colleagues said afterwards, while eating injara, “That could have gone a couple of different ways, and none of them good”…
- In 2018, we were back in San Fransisco – and it was the 10 year anniversary .of me bringing my daughter Annabelle there when she was 11 weeks old – so back we went!
- And then this year – we were back to Toronto!